Thursday, September 6, 2007

Miscellaneous Music Musings, pt. I

I'm been listening to some random music from my favorites list, so I'll rate it as I go.

1. "Sunburn" by
A beautiful song, period. Probably one of the most beautiful I have ever heard. The undulating piano at the beginning is sublime in a backdrop of percussion, and when it gets combined with the pinging guitar, it just gets better. The lead singer Matthew Bellamy's vocals are in an undulating fashion as well, as is the style of Muse, and the whole song is just so harmonic. I could listen to it forever, over and over again.

2. "Cochise" by
In all honesty, I was disappointed to realize that Audioslave is just Rage Against The Machine with a new singer. Chris Cornell's voice is amazing, but Audioslave as a whole is like a tamed version of Rage. "Cochise" features Tom Morello's beastly guitarwork, a Rage signature, but Audioslave's other songs seem fit for the radio. This song, however, it quite nice. I recommend it for Rage fans who have overplayed all of their Rage tracks.

3. "For The Workforce, Drowning" by
You will probably hear a lot about Thursday as they are my favorite band. This song was on a Vans Warped Tour compilation (2004, I think) and is definitely one of Thursday's best songs. Their signature lovely lyrics, written by the brilliant Geoff Rickly, are present as are a classic element of post-hardcore: complex riffs, and many of them. I don't know why I like Thursday more than other post-hardcore bands though. Perhaps it is because their songs are softer (well, sometimes) and more complex. And those lyrics. They're amazing. I urge you to look at them now. They're really like poetry.

No comments: